Master Gardener Volunteers are people who want to use their gardening skills to create positive change in their communities. Whether working with students on a school garden, teaching a workshop on making great compost, growing and donating produce to Maine Harvest for Hunger or designing and installing a native pollinator garden, Master Gardener Volunteers take an active role in making things happen!
Maine school garden coordinators can benefit by either requesting the assistance of a Master Gardener or by completing one of the training options themselves or recommending it to a high school level student.
Currently three horticulture programs are offered:
- Maine Gardener Training: Designed for gardeners who desire a foundation in basic horticulture education and skills for personal use. Recommended for those who would like to access the educational content of the Master Gardener Volunteer training program but do not plan to volunteer.
- Maine Horticulture Apprentice Training: Designed for learners interested in exploring a career in horticulture, whether an entry level employee, a high school student, or those interested in changing their career path, it is designed to supply learners with a foundational horticulture education suitable for skilled entry-level positions in the horticulture industry. Developed with input from horticulture industry leaders, this program will prepare learners with the practical horticulture knowledge and skills desired by employers and earn a University of Maine micro-credential.
- Master Gardener Volunteer Training: Designed to educate gardeners with research-based horticulture knowledge and train them as volunteers to share their knowledge in their local communities. This program will earn a University of Maine micro-credential. Any Maine resident interested in studying horticulture and volunteering in community gardening projects is encouraged to apply.
Not sure which program is for you?
Here is a handy chart to help you decide.
Questions? Want to know more?!
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request assistance from a Master Gardener Volunteer by completing the Request for Master Gardener Volunteer Assistance form.
- Maine Gardener Manual Table of Contents
- How to Apply to be a Master Gardener